Skip to Content
Wallace Pierce Law Wallace Pierce Law
Call Us Today! 919-887-7892
Diminished Value Claims

Diminished Value Claims in North Carolina

Helping Car Accident Victims Seek Financial Compensation

If you or a loved one have been involved in an accident and your motor vehicle is significantly damaged, it is important to understand that seeking compensation for your injuries involves being compensated for the diminished value of your vehicle. As such, if your vehicle has been damaged as a result of someone else’s negligence, the costs of both the repair of your vehicle and the diminished value of the vehicle may be recoverable. This section discusses and explores diminished value claims in North Carolina.

To speak directly to one of our Durham car accident lawyers about your case, please contact Wallace Pierce Law online or by phone at (919) 887-7892. Your initial consultation is free.

What Are Diminished Value Claims?

Diminished value claims seek to ensure that the owner of the vehicle is compensated for the loss of value to his or her vehicle after an accident. In North Carolina, diminished value claims are calculated by comparing the difference between the fair market value (FMV) of your vehicle before your accident occurred and the depreciated value of your vehicle following the accident and the repair of your vehicle. However, very few people know about diminished value claims or how to make them. As such, it is common for accident victims to fail to assert any demand for compensation arising from their vehicle’s loss of value.

What Is Fair Market Value & How Is It Determined?

The fair market value (FMV) is the amount that a seller and buyer agree upon for a vehicle’s worth. Determining the fair market value is not an exact science and can be a somewhat tedious task, as the value is always disputable. With that being said, it is highly recommended that you receive an appraisal from a disinterested professional and licensed third party. Having a third party appraise the fair market value of your vehicle will help eliminate bias and provide you with more leverage during negotiations with the insurance adjuster. Also, be sure that you get all appraisals in writing to better support your claim.

An appraiser will consider numerous factors when determining the FMV of your vehicle. An appraiser generally considers such factors as:

  • The age of your vehicle
  • The make and model of your car
  • Location and severity of damage to your vehicle
  • The cost of repairs
  • The quality of repairs done to your vehicle

Appraisers and the companies for which they work maintain records of car sales in your area for comparable vehicles that have not been damaged in an accident. Furthermore, they have expertise in evaluating cosmetic and mechanical effects after your vehicle has been damaged. Taking all this into consideration, the appraiser will be able to compare the value of your vehicle after the accident and the fair market value of your vehicle just before the accident to determine the diminished value. This information will be vital in negotiating your diminished value claim.

Contact Wallace Pierce Law online or by phone at (919) 887-7892 to discuss your diminished value claim.

Do I Have to Hire an Appraiser?

While hiring an appraiser can be helpful to your claim, their services are often expensive. With that being said, there are several different actions that you can take on your own. Due to diminished value claims being based on the fair market value of your vehicle, you will need to find sale prices on cars that are comparable to yours, but without an accident history. This can be done by looking on sites like Auto Trader and at local car dealerships. Also, you can have your vehicle evaluated at car dealerships for trade-in values once your repairs are complete. Some dealerships may be willing to provide you with an estimate for your vehicle’s value if it had not been in an accident. This can be helpful, as it provides you with the general fair market value of your vehicle before the accident occurred.

Important note: Remember that trade-in values are generally much less than private and sale values, as the dealership will be looking to make a profit upon reselling the vehicle.

What If the Insurance Adjuster & I Cannot Come to an Agreement?

If you and the insurance adjuster cannot reach an agreement, there are several different steps you can take. Pursuant to North Carolina General Statute § 20-279.21, you are entitled to invoke what is known as the appraisal clause. Essentially, by invoking this clause, both you and the insurance company will be required to hire disinterested third-party appraisers who will then try to reach an agreement on the diminished value of your vehicle. If the two appraisers are able to reach an agreement, then both you and the insurance company have 15 days to object. If no objections are made within the 15-day timeframe, the agreement becomes binding.

If you are unable to reach an agreement through invoking the appraisal clause or decide to forgo invoking the clause, you may consider filing a claim against the at-fault driver and their insurance company. In other words, you may file a lawsuit for your diminished value claim. Generally, these claims will be brought in small claims court as they usually will not exceed $10,000. However, if your diminished value is greater than $5,000, you may want to consider speaking with an experienced diminished value or personal injury lawyer in your jurisdiction.

Continue Reading Read Less
    “I want to brag about my experience!”
    “When my 4-year old son and I were involved in a terrible head-on collision, I wasn't sure where to turn. Wallace Pierce has been great showing me the way!”
    - Mary P.
    “Richard Dingus is a great attorney!”
    “Richard Dingus is a great attorney! And I think the best, serving in the state of North Carolina. I would recommend him for injury and bodily claim any day.”
    - Isaac B.
    “Thank you again for all you did for my family”
    “They were concerned not only about getting our vehicle replaced, but more importantly my kid’s full recovery.”
    - Coral M.
    “I was completely shocked at the amount I received”
    “I retained this law firm to fight my case. I was completely shocked at the amount I received once the case was won.”
    - Schjuana S.
    “They went above and beyond for me!”
    “Mr. Pierce gave me practical advice and was very thorough in guiding me through the process. I left with a strong and positive impression of him.”
    - Audria L.
    “Very knowledgeable”
    “Was able to either point me in the right direction or answer any questions I had regarding the accident I was in. Thank you!”
    - Steven L.
    “Great Law Firm!”
    “Great Law Firm, Friendly Staff, Amazing Service. Willing to help you every step of the way.”
    - Caleb M.
    “Thanking all of the Attorneys and Staff.”
    “I could not recommend anyone any higher than I recommend Wallace Pierce Law, they get the job done and they do it quicker and better and keep you informed along the way.”
    - Debby L.


Our top priority is to devise customized legal strategies that are tailored to the unique legal needs of our clients, no matter how simple or complicated their situations, might be.

  • $1,900,000 Wrongful Death

    The at-fault driver failed to reduce speed and collided with our client's vehicle. Our client passed away shortly after the collision.

  • $900,000 Wrongful Death

    Our client was thrown from his motorcycle and was pronounced deceased on the scene.

  • $122,000 Car Accident

    Vehicle made a left-hand turn, failing to yield the right of way.

  • $104,000 Serious Injuries

    Client was a passenger in a vehicle that was driving through an intersection when another vehicle ran a stop sign and t-boned the vehicle our client was in.

  • $104,000 Severe Injury

    We were able to not only receive policy limits for our client but were able to negotiate her medical bills and liens to ensure that she was able to keep a good portion of the settlement.

  • $102,000 Serious Injuries

    Elderly client was a passenger in a vehicle that was t-boned in an intersection where a driver failed to yield the right of way.